Monday, April 1, 2013

Cocos2D & CocosBuilder - tools for building a great iOS user experience

I have used cocos2d-iphone for apps that need a game-like feel, those apps where good ole' Cocoa Touch felt a little too utilitarian. Recently I discovered, downloaded, and tried out CocosBuilder (http://www.cocosbuilder.com) and I've got to say I'm really pleased. It would have been a big help for some of those past projects that use cocos2d-iphone.

I've been playing around with it for a couple of days & have decided that I need to put it to use in a project. It seems to be a great tool for building unique user interfaces for iOS apps. It appears to also support Android, and desktop applications, but for my first project or two I think I'm going to focus on using it for iOS.

I'll post my experiences as I put together a project using CocosBuilder, but as this is a pet project updates may be a little slow at times.

The tool does seem to either be missing some features, or have them well hidden. The item that comes to mind immediately is the ability to add screen sizes to a project after the project has been created (you choose screen sizes when you create the project, but I didn't see any way to add or remove screen sizes later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment